CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

English Post No. 2

January 18th 2009


I started my day at 7.50am, having very little sleep thanks to the cold weather that day. After a short breakfast, I left a quiet house at 10am to my floorball match. Along the way, I met many teamates lke my buddies, Ubaidah and Matthew, and we proceeded together to the Tampines Sports Hall. The match, which is actually part of a nation-wide league still ongoing was our fifth of our ten matches. Naturally, since it is a men;s league, we have crushed many atime and so far our record is four losses, 1 draw and no wins. Though this is a very disappointing record, my team still believes we can win some game. But, when I saw the schedule today, "Great God! We're laying against the top of the table today?!"I said aloud. Today, we were playing against a promotion contender, the Tyreso Blue Titans. My heart sank in defeat together with the rest of my hopes of winning the game. When the rest of my team saw the shedule, many looked crushed. Our fates were sealed. We were going to lose. When our coach came and saw our sad faces, he tried to cheer us up, but to no avail. The mood was gloomy and almost all of us looked disappointed. Even the opponents knew they could win, they came with their noses up high. However, that all changed when we stepped on the court. The moment the face-off was over, there was a ray of hope in the dark clouds of defeat. The players were purely ma
de of brawn and not stickwork. They fumbled with the ball whilst we cooly manovuered and made circles around them. In our first charge, in about two minutes, an unmarked Haziq Rizwan cooly slotted the ball home after the ball was drilled in by Hadi. By the end of the first period, 1-1. Tyreso managed to equalise after a quick counter from a spilled ball in their goal. In the second period, a defensive error left me a sitting duck at my goal. I managed to block the shot with my leg but the ball rebounded up and into the goal. 2-1, we were sweating now. We worked hard and just a few more charges later, Matthew had broken through and was racing to goal. My heart was in my mouth and everyone on my team was shouting and cheering. All of sudden, our hopes seemed dashed as one of Tyreso's defenders had sprinted back to the goal and was pressuring. Then, Matthew drilled a ball across the goal. "What is he doing! What a wasted chance" I thought. All of a sudden, Hamizan received the ball and simply fired a shot into the unguarded side of the goal. 2-2. We cheered. We, including the coach, were absolutely wild! This was the first time since the draw game that we have come from behind to equalise! The Tyreso players were completely gobsmacked. "Where did he come from?" was written all over their bewildered faces. After the goal, it seemed that someone added a little spark to our ember of hope. We were on fire! We were dominating the battlefield and Tyreso were struggling. They resorted to some dirty moves that resulted in many chances but I thankfully saved them some and some cannoned off the post. Finally in the final minute, Halim managed to get within shooting range of the goal and fired.The ball flew, soared and burned the air. The shot was unstoppable. It rebounded against the keeper's thighs and flew into the net. 3-2. We erupted in celebration! We were hugging each other, elated with our regained lead. With forty seconds to go, there was no way Tyreso could win. And the match ended with our win. We were slapping each others backs, exhilarated with the win. When, I left the court that day, I have never felt so happier.

P.S The left picture is our team and the right is our coach, Mr. Amir, giving us his plans and views on our performance.

0 comments: